At the end of last summer, I lost my momentum here...I tried to pick it up again in the winter, but...well, excuses. Having a Buffaloo is a full-time job. However, as I have come into a bit of free time, perhaps it is time to start again....
Buffaloo is approaching two (this October people! He does accept presents), and occasionally shows signs of his impending dog-hood. Mind you, he is as excitable and energetic as ever. When I get ready to go for a run, he still gets excited. However, he is rarely incarcerated in the kitchen for bad behavior anymore, he is much less prone to causing accidents while we are driving, and in general he seems a little more...relaxed towards life.
He has had a rough (no pun intended. Seriously, I can do much better than that if I am trying to make puns) summer. I was gone for a week to New York, and he stayed with a friend at her house (thanks again!). By all accounts he not only enjoyed it, but was a perfect angel.
Not the Buffaloo I know, but he puts on a good show when he wants to, I'll give him that.
I was back for a bit, but soon took off to Ohio, and then North Dakota, for a total of two months. His grandma was nice enough to dog sit in situ, as it were. She came up, worked (which is done off-site, so was no big deal to do it here I guess) and watched my dog. While I am sure it was an inconvenience, she did love getting some quality bonding time in with my dog (as well as with significant other people). And Buff loved the long nightly walks at Asylum Lake.
I was back for two or three weeks then, and Buff started getting used to it. He even made some new friends when Erica's (BFF/et al) family, replete with their two dogs (and Buff's pal Roxie) all came to visit. Life was good.
Then I went to South Dakota for two weeks. He stayed with the aforementioned Erica for that time, and all went pretty well. I showed back up for a week, but then had to board him for a few days.
Mind you, I board him at Camp Critter Country. So he has a blast. It is really more like summer camp. Lots of group play time with other dogs, long walks, experience with water (he apparently tried to attack it, and it was adorable).
That said, he was excited to see me again. This week has been kind of relaxed. I have only run with him a few times, so he hasn't gotten the amount of exercise he did last year at this time, but as I said he has mellowed out. So I no longer have to exhaust him every day for a moment of peace.
This morning I broke his heart when I got dressed to run but neglected to take him along. I was going to a race (my first 10K, which I finished in 56 and some change, by the way), and so having a Buffaloo with me would have been bad form. But he does not make that distinction. All he knows is that I am clearly going for a run, and it would obviously be better if I included the Buffaloo. So when I start to leave, and am clearly not taking him along, he looks at me with a confused/hurt expression on his face...poor puppy.
I made it up to him with a trip to the Dog Park (down at Prairie View County Park). It was a pretty quiet night, and we only got an hour or so of playtime in before we had to leave, but he enjoyed it.
On the ride back, we pulled up to a stoplight. The woman in the car to the left rolled down her passenger side window, to facilitate what the kids might or might not call "checking out" the fine specimen of his species in the next car. That's right, my dog is that damn handsome he makes people act like they're in a Grey Poupon commercial.
That pretty much brings things up to date. Updates on the Life and Times of the Great American Buffaloo will hopefully be forthcoming.

No comments:
Post a Comment