Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Puppy Report: Terrible Twos???

First, I do try to keep in mind that Buffaloo has had a rough autumn.  Last year, we went to the dog park at least once a week.  By this time, he'd had a Buffday celebration and been parading around in his Buffoween costume.  He'd been going to Puppy College (ie, Obedience Classes) every Friday and a lot more runs than he has been.  

But he has been stressing me the heck out!  Mind you, his day-to-day behaviors are pretty much the same, and his Crazies have really been reduced in both duration and intensity.  In general, he's been awesome.  

But the last time we were at the Dog Park, a disturbing new behavior began to manifest.  Now, he's always done what I call "Stealth" or "Commando" mode.  This is when, seeing someone (most often another dog) approach, he lowers his body, remaining parallel to the ground.  He'll then lay, perfectly still (or sometimes inching forward), until the target is within pouncing range.  

And then, yes...my dog pounces.  Recently I've been told this is a herding dog behavior, so maybe there is some of that in him too?  

Now, last year, after a winter hiatus from the dog park, he began barking at other dogs.  Specifically, other dogs having fun in groups.  While I refer to this as being the "fun police" on occasion, I'm pretty sure it is his Only Puppy Syndrome.  He knows that he should be the center of any and all attention, at all times and in all places.  Lately, he's been...well better.  Not perfect.  He hasn't stopped altogether, but he's let up enough that I've held off getting...The Device (by which I mean a shock collar).  

Last time, he did something new.  He started barking at people.  Not all people.  Someone would come into the park, and he would circle around them, barking.  

It would seem some of those aforementioned herding behaviors may be coming out.  

So, none of that is really too bad.  But the last two days, he has been fairly atrocious on our runs.  Maybe its the changing weather, or maybe he hasn't been getting enough exercise.  Maybe, as he just turned two, he is entering a phase.  I hope it ends soon.  

So yesterday, he was...a bit unruly.  Mind you, a year ago it would have been better than average, but I guess I've come to expect better behavior from him.  Of course, some of this is my fault.  Running seems to amplify whatever mood I'm in, much like the Super Soldier Serum used on Steve Rogers (aka, Captain America).  So if I'm stressed and in a bad mood, it often does not go well.  Add in the weather messing me up (in that I have trouble dressing appropriately, as full gear is too hot, and anytime I remove anything it is too cold), my phone not playing music properly, and the Mapmyrun app acting like a giant turd, then throw in an unruly dog, and...well, it was stressful all around.  

So today, it went much better, overall.  But then, on several occasions, Buffaloo barked/jumped at people.  And while the jumping didn't seem too unusual, his barking was not his typical "play with me" bark. It was more "stay the heck back".  I wouldn't categorize it as "aggressive" by any means, it was incredibly inappropriate.  

Seriously.  I was NOT happy with him.  I was weirded out, as they say the first time.  The second time I yelled at him.  By the third, I'd had enough (he was also getting frisky, so what exactly was going on is open to discussion).  I rolled him, and (this was close to home) brought him inside.

Now, I feel a little bad about yelling at him.  He actually seems kinda hurt, but that might be my imagination.  He's getting a bull penis here in a bit, so I'm sure he'll be pretty happy then.  He also seems to love the new squeaky pumpkin toy I got him.  And of course, his Buffoween costume:

Actually, it does not really fit (large, my ass).  And he is not wearing it.  Nor is it as adorable as the devil outfit from last year (which no longer quite fits either, sadly).  Such is life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment