When Buffaloo and I first started hanging out, I was just getting into running. In 2010, I began the "Couch to 5K" program. I fizzled in the fall, partway through. The following summer, I started again. It was in the midst of this that Buffaloo arrived.
Buffaloo now, at nearly four years old, is a pretty intense and energetic dog. At 8 months, the was what I affectionately referred to as an Furry Orange Tornado. Watching him do anything was like watching a more affable Tazmanian Devil (the cartoon version, of course). Not sure what to do with a dog, I scoured the Internet for advice.
I ran across the Dog Whisperer. While I have subsequently opted to ignore the bulk of that advice (the "dominance theory" stuff, which maybe I'll talk about at another time), he does consistently offer one bit of advice for behavioral issues worth holding on to: get more exercise.
Of course, I believe this is pretty good advice across the board, regardless of species. Again, different topic.
I took Buffaloo running with me, and he proved capable and enthusiastic. Often times he would force me to run. I would get home and "not feel like it", but be confronted by his happy little face. And if I have to spend a half hour walking him anyway, I might as well tire him out on the way.
When I moved here, my running took a hit. I was unable to find a route I like to take him on. Then I hit the wall of being out of the habit, which is perhaps the hardest thing to overcome when it comes to running. Lately, I've been noticing the lack of exercise, at least in me. I'm more stressed, I feel sluggish, et cetera. I was also sure Buff was more than eager to start running again. Sure, I bike him, but it's not the same really.
Recently, a friend who has been running found me on Runkeeper. I hadn't used this account in a while. I always was fickle with tracking tools, and played around with various ones (especially once I got a smartphone which I no longer have). Honestly, I think the one that was best for me was (I hate to say this) Nike+. At least until my watch died and yada-yada-yada.
Anyway, as I logged back in to Runkeeper, I started trying to track things. My bike rides to work, my dog walks. Then I would try running here and there. I have stopped tracking much in Runkeeper for the moment (I'm just bad at remembering to record those things...), but I did manage to find a route I rather like. It has all my likes: a few hills, scenic (suburban scenic, at any rate), and most importantly low traffic. I gradually am getting more miles every week. Eventually I'll need to get new shoes, track my runs, and sign up for a race.
Although my motivation is the same as when I first started four years ago. To feel/look better. To get in shape. Stress management. All those things, but as a bonus, when we get back Buffaloo attacks his water bowl and collapses on the tiled floor, panting through a mile-wide puppy grin.
And the only good puppy is a tired puppy.

No comments:
Post a Comment