Now, in general I have a bit of a problem with clutter. The phrase "borderline hoarder" has been tossed around at me more than once. I don't like throwing things away if I think I can find a use for it in the future, and this ranges from old items, to electronics, to clothes, and even to empty glass food jars (which I do use pretty often, as I make a lot of my own sauces and the like).
I saw this Declutter Challenge and have been thinking, "Hey, that sounds fun and/or necessary." I regularly face the specter of all this crap, and try to get rid of things when I can. I usually meet with marginal success, at best. So in addition to the Buffaloo updates of the Puppy Report, you can look forward to daily or semi-daily updates of increasing length detailing what is getting tossed.
These may or may not be fully detailed every day, we'll see how it goes. I'll at least give summaries.
These may or may not be fully detailed every day, we'll see how it goes. I'll at least give summaries.
The premise is simple: On Day 1, I get rid of one thing. On Day 2, I get rid of two things. And so on until Day 30, when I get rid of thirty things.
I meant to start this yesterday, on the 1st. That way, the number of things I need to get rid of would track with the date nicely. But why let that get in the way; Day 1 is just one thing, so let's retcon it.
September 1st, Day 1: Cobra Trapshooter Radar/Detector
I got this at a K-Mart that was going out of business. I started using it and immediately got pulled over. So...irony? At any rate, I don't even have a car anymore. Even when I did, I do not remember the last time I had this on. I'd sell it, but I'm pretty sure they're illegal here anyway. Such is life.
September 2nd, Day 2: Old cell phone and charger
These count as two items since they are not related. The phone is the first Tracfone I had, back in 2009. The charger is to the phone I had when I was oversees, what with the crazy plugs and all.
So far, so good. I had bits of hesitation already though, so this is going to get harder. I do have a fair amount in closets though-far more than a person needs.
September 1st, Day 1: Cobra Trapshooter Radar/Detector
I got this at a K-Mart that was going out of business. I started using it and immediately got pulled over. So...irony? At any rate, I don't even have a car anymore. Even when I did, I do not remember the last time I had this on. I'd sell it, but I'm pretty sure they're illegal here anyway. Such is life.
September 2nd, Day 2: Old cell phone and charger
These count as two items since they are not related. The phone is the first Tracfone I had, back in 2009. The charger is to the phone I had when I was oversees, what with the crazy plugs and all.
So far, so good. I had bits of hesitation already though, so this is going to get harder. I do have a fair amount in closets though-far more than a person needs.
I find a good method is if you can't think of a use for it in 30 seconds, into the donate/trashpile it goes.
ReplyDeleteJason has a hard time throwing things out too, must be a family thing! :) He has gotten better, but he usually has to break the item before tossing. May be a good idea to do this now so Erica will have room for her things :) Best of luck!
ReplyDelete