Just what has he learned? Well, many of the tricks and commands he already knew. Sit, shake/give paw, and down were already in his repertoire. Others, like come, stay, and stop biting my friends, were new.
Well...that last one is still a complete mystery to him. Also, he is perhaps the only dog in the universe who actually prefers to be cradled.
I've been back at school/work this week for the first time since I got the furry guy, so he's been all sorts of confused. And more than a little pent up. He has taken to this subtle, passive-aggressive grumble when he isn't getting the desired level of attention.
He actually caused a bit of a scene today too. I took him for a run this afternoon, and after his normal five minutes of jumping frantically around trying to drag me into traffic, I started getting him calmed down (mostly be cradling him, which probably looks odd to see a man holding a dog on the side of the road, but whatever). At this point, I noticed he had managed to loosen his collar. Last time I let that slide while he was worked up, he slipped the lead and ran into traffic....
Not wanting that to happen again, I had to tighten the collar. So I transfer the lead to the tag collar. Of course, that is hardly on at all, and not nearly strong enough to withstand the Tenacious GAB, so I also get him to lay down and straddle him. I'm not sitting on him, not pressing into him. It is more like a reverse cradle, with me swaddled over him, just to keep him in place.
Now, I realize that, to the person across the street and through traffic, it might have looked bad. So, I am trying to take the scream of "What do you think you're doing?" in stride. I replied that I wasn't hurting him, just holding him down while I tightened his collar. I didn't get a reply, so ideally that was enough to make the shouter see the situation more clearly.
Still, it bothers me that someone would think I am physical with my dog. Well, excessively physical. He's not a gaseous cloud of energy, so I have to be physical.
Granted, that was a bit of venting. But if I don't keep him under control when I have his lead off, he is hyper as all hell, and we are two feet away from one of the busiest 45mph streets in town during rush hour, bad things will happen.
It does really bother me that someone would think that. It's good that they care, mind you. But, I hope it is clear that I am quite fond of my puppy. And at all indication, he likes me too.
Anyway, I should edit this, but I am actually needing to get moving to go to the aforementioned graduation (of course, there is a final exam before that, but I'm not worried. I've dropped him off at the library every morning this week).
EDIT: He rocked the final exam. The best there, by far. Although I suspect I may have a slight bias. Also, he is enrolled into a very nice Puppy High.
No comments:
Post a Comment