Friday, June 10, 2011

Introducing Buffaloo: Tenacious Little SOB.



Okay, for everyone who doesn't yet know, I'll start with the obvious. I have a dog.

I got him from the SPCA of Southwest Michigan (not affiliated with the ASPCA, the national organization), an animal resue here in Kalamazoo. His name is Buffaloo, he is a Husky mix*, let's say 'root beer yello'. He is older than 6 months. The SPCA said 1-1.5 years. The vet said probably more likely 8 months or so (he acts very puppy, apparently). Out of the box, he already knew a variety of commands; sit, stay and come, lay down, shake/give paw. Not all perfectly, but better than pretty much any dog I've known.

I got him Friday. The weekend was stressful on us both, as neither of us apparently knew how to handle this. We'd play tug (I'd try to make sure to win. The vet showed me a better way, but I may need a new toy). He grabbed stuff on occasion and ran. I didn't chase, but I would sternly say 'no', make a sharp noise (clap/snap), and approach until he stopped jumping/nipping/barking/growling.

Really, the growling was the biggest problem. Of course, I thought he was more of a dog than a puppy, so maybe I expected a bit much...I actually feel really bad now about scolding him. But, I sat down in my chair to eat, he looked at me expectantly and gave a low growl. He also did this a few times when he wanted attention. Maybe he was off-put because I was taking his food away (it goes down, he gets time, then it comes up. He'll figure this out yet). Anyway, I didn't let him growl, though I don't think I handled it the best way possible.

The last of these issues was Saturday night. At the end of it, I got him calmed down. He sat, the laid down, on command. I had him stay until he relaxed. Since then, he has been much calmer, ignoring me while I eat. I also put out his food when I am eating (and have been giving him a milkbone) before I start eating my food. I've been trying to etablish a routine, long walks or a jog, breakfast, attention/play. Then it is time to chill. This way, if I leave, he will hopefull be okay.

On the lead, he has been pretty good. I started with the Gentle Leader, which he, as all dogs, HATES. I tried just a collar, and he was fine. I am trying to 'project the calm assertive energy' and be the leader. He tugs a little, mostly when something excites him. He ignores small animals (bird, squirrels, groundhogs, etc), but loves to sniff things and people/other dogs get his attention. For the most part, on our pack walks, he seems to be following.

I'm interpreting his body language as best I can. When he meets other dogs/new people, his tail tends to go up and curl over (he a a FLUFFLY tail). When it is just us, and around the house, it tends to be lower. Not tucked, but more down with a bit of an upward curl at the end. From what I gather, the 'up' is more of a dominant pose, while the down is more of a relaxed/calm pose. Perfect, really. I want him to see me as the 'pack leader'.

Now, the last walk he was a bit odd. Twice when we approached dogs he stopped. One was a corgi we met the other day. Her owner, Josie, works at Petsmart, actually. I think she lives across the street. Anyway, with this one, he stopped, then laid down flat. Not quite sure what to make of that.

That is enough of that. I'll post more on the new puppy advetenture. Including future plans and possible future plans.

-S

*I'm planning on taking him on Maury Povich for a paternity test. Or maybe just to the vet. If anyone would like to donate to this cause, please contact me. I accept cash, check, and Jimmy John's.

No comments:

Post a Comment