One week into having a dog, and things are going okay. The little guy is still kind of an ass, but he's learning. I've switched from walking him with the Gentle Leader , to just the collar, and now back to the GL. There are reasons, and hopefully the GL will help teach him to A) walk beside me, not dance around me, and follow/keep up/come when I call and B) not go running off towards people.
(By the way, this whole thing is basically me venting all the stress Buffaloo manages to inflict, so take it with a grain of salt or whatnot.)
It seems to be working, and I worry a bit. It requires a lot of tugging, which elicits a quick response and doesn't choke him like the collar. He is occasionally wary when people or dogs approach, even laying down tensely (maybe tensely). Or maybe it is submissive, as someone suggested. The last couple of walks have been kind of stressful, as I get really frustrated when he makes me yank him back. I can't help but feel that it is a small step backwards, but hopefully once he gets more used to the GL we can make better strides forwards.
At home, he actually has gotten better. He loves his new toy (see the photos). I've started to learn how rough I need to be with him. I wrestle him down now to put the tears in his eye (artificial tears...the vet says it needs to happen) and follow it up with some major treating. Likewise, after forcing him, I have gotten him to let me brush him, which is another necessity, espcially in summer. So, progress there. Going in and out for walks, he is also really good, except that he fights with the GL worst there (and in short grassy areas). But, I make him wait to leave until he sits, and then he enters when I call him.
He is also eating more, but I seem to be leaving his food down more and more. I started putting in down more, then left it so he would have it, forgetting once or twice. Maybe he just doesn't like eating in front of me. He also hasn't been doing his beggy thing while I eat (I decided that the growly bit was just him begging, not aggression), or at least much less. His Buffaloo patties are also much more...normal. I'll skip the details, but this is good.
He's a bitey guy, especially while playful. And the more he is allowed, the worse he gets. I've been working on teaching him that it is not appropriate, ever, to put people in his chompers. That is a work in progress, for certain. But, like I said, I've been learning how to be more firm with him, so hopefully he learns quickly.
I've also been leaving him alone more and more. I find random places to go if I must (I hung out a Panera all afternoon today just to leave him alone). I haven't really had any issues, so I'm also pretty happy with that. He still gets overly hyper when I am home, and I know he want to play, and I do, but he need to learn that grabbing scarves, coats, my sofa cover-all that is a no-no. And to chill the hell out sometimes. I mean, just now, I jogged him this morning, we played, I left him alone for a while, then an hour long walk, a bit of play. Now he is intermittently hyper.
Sigh.
It's been a stressful week, but we are making progress, I reckon. I need him to age a few years. Or I will.
No comments:
Post a Comment