

Wow...three weeks already. Crazy.
So, a few big items of Buffa-News this week. (That's right, dog-name related puns are cool.)
First, the 'issue' from last week seems to be resolved. While he hated every one of them, we got pretty good at putting the pills into his mouth, and his last one was today. Now, next week he gets another syringe full of some yellow viscous medication and that should be it. He does seem much better, with his nose being colder and wetter and his...output being more...regular and consistent.
That said, he still is getting put into the kitchen when I am gone or asleep. I may let him back into the bedroom at night soon, but I am still not sure about the kitchen. Also, I heard back from a crate seller on Craigslist, so we'll see. He is pretty calm in the kitchen, although if I am hanging out in the living room he dislikes it. And if anyone else is over, well...yeah, then he tries to bust out.
The second big news item is: he got himself thwapped by a car. Short version-he's fine.
Longer version-We headed out for a walk, and he was, as he is wont to be, excessivley exuberant; trying to run around, grabbing at the lead, jumping around. Well, walking is not the place for that behavior (and he know is, mind you), so I pulled in on his leash, eventually grabbing him right above the collar. Somewhere in all this the lead came undone from the collar, so he skipped off, looking back at me playfully.
Adorable. Except that he is now standing on the curb alongside Drake in late afternoon, so the traffic is fairly heavy. "Buffaloo," I said sternly, using my 'pack leader' voice, "sit."
His head cocked to one side as if to say, "Ummm...no? I mean, I know what that means, but...well...I want to play!"
I tried again, to no avail. He was tense and eager to run, so I avoided moving toward him at this point (since the only place he could go is into the street). "Come here, boy," this time, in my 'nice' voice. Nothing. I eased towards him, but eventually he took off.
He made it maybe three steps into the street until a car thwapped him, sending him rolling. I headed towards him, and I ended up chasing him across the street, into my apartment complex. Luckily, neither of us were hit again.
He took off around my building, and I went in the other direction to head him off. I found him hanging around my car on the other side (about midway around the building). I got close, but he stayed out of arm's reach.
See below for why, but I opened my car door and in he went. I took the opportunity to grab his collar and tighten it, and get the leash back on him. I had to actually lift him out of the car, but whatever.
We then went for our walk, and he didn't seem hurt. He also didn't respond when I pressed him later. So, he is fine. Although he may be a bit jittery along major roads. And around homeless people. Well, that is another issue.
Alright, now for some weirdness. The first time we went to my car, he jumped in. Then, a day or two later, I actually had to pick him up-he refused to get in. Now, he jumps in (at least he does go right for the back seat now) and refuses to come out. Twice I have had to go in after him.
I actually used this after he got hit. He was standing by my car, so I opened the door and in he went. See above.
Anyway, odd but whatever. The more annoying item is that he apparently hates homeless people. And douchebags. Actually, he is terrified of them. On our walks (specifically on KL), when we encounter certain types, he gets scared. The first was a guy getting his bike off the bus, then they charming fellow who was stumbling out of the liquor store, tanked off his ass, at 10:30 in the morning. There were others (a decidedly douchey guy smoking in a black hoodie).
When we see them, the GAB gets scared. As in, pulling on the leash in terror, about to slip his collar (which I do keep fairly tight) scared. I have had to grab him by the collars/scruff of the neck and even pick him up.
Frankly, it's embarrassing and more than a little annoying. Although he may be a good judge of character...I just want him to stop trying to run away.
This next week should be pretty exciting. He gets to meet my nephew and his family tomorrow (by the way, click here to vote for said nephew), along with their dog, Bacon. Then some more friends back in town to meet early next week, along with the usual sorts of activities. Then, we head to Nebraska where he gets to meet more family, including the Dynamic Duo of Steeler and Burt (pictured above, Steeler is the big one).
No comments:
Post a Comment