The ubiquitous 'they' say that getting a dog can have a 'honeymoon' period, and after that various personality/behavioral traits can surface, seemingly from nowhere. With this in mind, I was understandably concerned when Buffaloo started making Buffaloo burgers** on my carpet
It happened when I was gone (with gusto, at that). I was not happy. So, after a run to Petsmart to get some Nature's Miracle and cleaning the mess up, I went on with the night, which involved people (well, person) coming over. During said visit, the GAB was quite...energetic. Annoyingly so, honestly, but we managed (actually, I ended up shutting him in the bedroom again. Hasn't this already been described?). So, I thought he was better after that episode. He seemed like it when we went for a walk. Maybe he was backed up/stressed from everything going on and it all finally came to a head.
Okay, to bed then (around 1 in the morning or so).
Come 5 in the morning, I am awoken by a most unpleasant smell. For the record, that is a terrible way to start your day. I cleaned that up, the we went for a run, then I went and looked at houses. I came back, cleaned up again (I wasn't even surprised this time, but resolved that action would be taken. Admittedly, what that meant changed a few times. Kennel, asking the SPCA if I could get a store credit, and eventually the vet all came up, but I'm getting ahead of myself). So, as I finished cleaning that up, he did it again (first time while I was in the house and awake). I was angry. Livid, even. But something was amiss, so I put him on the balcony and called the vet.
They said it may be Giardia, but recommended the test for that and the regular parasite test (again). So I took the sample in and waited. I hated to want my dog to have parasites, but then at least his earlier actions would not be his fault (I had originally thought them such, refer to the opening sentence). And we could fix it easily.
So, while I was on the phone, he went twice on the balcony. Then again on the way there, and on the way back. Yeah....
The call came back later that afternoon-giardia was negative. Roundworm (as opposed to ringworm, which I may have confused in an earlier conversation) was positive. So it was certainly good that I had gotten the regular parasite test. Again. For the third time. So yeah...I'm just saying, if I took my car in for an oil change and they looked at it and gave it back to me, then I took it in and they told me the oil needed to be changed...I would be annoyed. And maybe expect to not have to pay for the second, actual oil change, as they should have done it the first time.
Now, I know the evidence may not turn up in a given sample, but really? I can't call the vet out, can I? They could tell me the dog needs a new Johnson rod, for all I know.
So, we are on day two of meds (a pill every 12 hours, plus a syringe of stuff yesterday and two weeks down the road). He already seems better, both in his output and some of his behavior (true, he never really acted sick...).
I did start confining him a bit more. I mean, after he did the deed with me sitting not ten feet away....On the balcony sometimes, or in the kitchen. Lacking means, I made slapdash barricades out of furniture, as shown in the images above, which he breached a time or two, but largely worked. I'm pretty sure he is fine when I am not there, but when I am in the living room, he want to hang out with me (actually, it's really cute when I think about it. The whining is kind of obnoxious though). He'll be on quarantine at least for the next few days (by which I mean, I'll lock him in the kitchen when I am gone and sleeping). After that...I'm not sure. He'll likely come back to the bedroom when I am convinced he's okay (although I like not getting woken up when he wants attention). I may keep putting him in the kitchen when I am gone. Not sure yet.
As of now, one of the barricades has been replaced by a gate on loan from the Erica Foundation. Erica, if you're reading this, he might have claimed a bone too...and left his scent pretty much everywhere. So Roxie may have a surprise for her when she gets home.
Anyway, I'll probably get a gate for the other entrance, which has the problem of being significantly wider. I am still thinking about a kennel, but am not convinced it will be needed. The balcony and kitchen may work fine.
In other news, he keeps meeting new people, which he finds loads of exciting. And dogs. He loves meeting dogs too. He has such a sweet disposition, and gets along with everyone. He is gradually getting better and better manners-jumping on people less, whining less. He is still mouthy, but we'll get there.
He's started to enjoy the brushing a bit it seems, and he still hates the eye drops but doesn't fight quite as much. He also had a bit more interest in small animals this morning (I never noticed, but my complex is overrun with damn squirrels). We went on a really long walk in the Asylum Lake preserve this morning. By the end, he had stopped to lay down and rest twice, then spent the next 2 hours chilling on the balcony (more or less entirely by choice). I've been giving him alone time this afternoon, mostly.
And so ends the second week. El perro has worms, but is getting better. His manners are improving, and he is ready, willing, and able to meet anyone who wants to play with him.
**Yes, that is a euphemism.
No comments:
Post a Comment